Sunday, December 13, 2009

Thee escape journal pt. 2


We arrive in Jersey where everything has frozen over. Swans dead frozen in ponds and common men standing as statues. I pulled my jacket up over my head, forcing me to bend over while walking slowly through the slushy and slick black ice like some headless hunchbacked monster. We go into the diner, all twelve of us wet,cold and tired. J. grabs a cup of a coffee out of an old man's hand and drinks it down in one fair swoop and throws the mini tea cup at the wall which then shatters into pieces. We all laugh, we expected a show and we got one. The phone was ringing off the hook, long and insesant rings. I followed the sound to the phone and picked it up, it was my mother and she was crying. She said it was my dad, he had died. "Was it the floods? The fire? The scavengers?" I asked. "No" she said. I did not want to have this conversation I slammed the phone receiver into the phone smashing it to bits and then I threw it at the wall. The boys laughed. I examined my bleeding hand till my eyes locked with a lemon danish, I reached over the counter and grabbed it and swallowed it whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment